Five ways you can get work as casual event staff

casual event staff

It may be winter here in Australia but that doesn’t mean the demand for casual event staff stops. In fact, mid-year is one of the busiest times for celebrations and occasions. There are many opportunities for you to get involved. Here’s our list of the five ways you can work as in events:


You can find casual waiting work without any formal qualifications, usually on-the-job training and previous experience is all you need. If you are going to be serving alcohol then you’ll also need a Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate, too. This can be done through TAFE, various registered institutions or even online.


To find work as a bartender, it is essential to have a current RSA certificate. As each state has different requirements for RSA training, you’ll need to find the course suitable for your location. On-the-job training is the usual route to casual work; however, if you want to get a head start, then it’s a good idea to practice making cocktails, learn what the popular drinks are or volunteer at a bar. Fortunately, there are many drinking establishments around, so you can be ready for any event staff position that comes your way!


While there are many chef jobs around, to stand out from the competition, it’s best to gain a recognised qualification. In Australia, there are many places you can train to be a chef, from general cooking skills to specialised techniques. Here’s our list of the best places to train to be a chef in Australia. Once you’ve obtained your qualifications, you’ll need to gain experience in a real working kitchen.

Event planner

To become an event planner, you don’t necessarily need a qualification, but there are a variety of different courses you can take (such as this one at William Angliss Institute of TAFE) that will make you stand out from the rest. Once you have gained a qualification, then work experience or volunteering at an events company will ensure you learn all aspects of running an event.


There are many technical aspects to running an event, such as lighting, broadcast, and audio visual. The type of area you would like to work in will determine the best avenue you undertake. For example, if you want to work in lighting, then it may be advantageous to study a lighting design course or an electrical engineering degree. For audio visual event staff roles, you may need to have a Certificate IV in Live Production and Technical Services. As with all roles, real world experience counts for a lot, get out there and get your hands dirty!

Irrespective of which casual event staff role you’re after, it’s obvious you need to train and get real world experience. Once you’ve gained your qualifications and work experience the opportunities are endless!

Credit: Photos by chuttersnap,  Petr Sevcovic and Marten Bjork on Unsplash